Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Short Review: The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan (5 stars, novella)







Full Description: Amazon

Rating: 5 out of 5

Thoughts After Reading:
When I first began reading Courtney Milan's novella The Governess Affair, I was greatly disappointed. Everything seemed to suggest that the heroine had been a virgin governess who had been willingly seduced by a pompous and uncharismatic duke. I didn't understand how I was expected to believe that she was going to find love with the next man she met, only three months later. The only reason I kept reading is that Milan's writing has always impressed me. Thankfully, my initial perception was way off base. The heroine had lost her virginity to the duke, but only because she was essentially raped. She was fired as a result of the episode, as well as became pregnant. Despite the horrifying circumstances, she still loves her unborn child. The book opens with her trying to cause scandal for the duke, so that he will be forced to provide support for his by-blow. Contrary to the my original thoughts, she turns out to be a character of extreme fortitude as well as a person with a very good heart. The hero, meanwhile, was a really fun character. As the description of the book suggests, he's been the duke's right hand man and is known for his ruthless behavior. He still has a strong set of principles, however, and gets completely lost as he spends time with the heroine. The hero's and heroine's interactions through the book, both verbal and written, are enjoyable while being very meaningful. The couple progress to love quickly, but Milan manages to make the progression quite plausible. There is one very emotional love scene between the two characters, after they get married. The romantic conflict was slightly heartbreaking, but the angst was quickly tempered in proportion of the length of the novella. The reader can completely tell the hero  isn't going to be able to keep his distance from the heroine, and the ending was immensely satisfying. In short, Courtney Milan's The Governess Affair was a very good historical romance that was proportioned correctly for a novella - a very rare find.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously have to get Courtney Milan's books, everyone's raving about them. I did read Unlocked and meant to read the rest of the Turner series but then I got distracted by other books. So many books, so little time *sigh*. Getting a Kindle hasn't helped, there are some real gems hiding in those freebies. :) :) This sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should :). I was really surprised, because I thought I had written reviews on the Turner books... but I guess I read them right before starting this blog. In any case, I remember ending up loving the series.

      "So many books, so little time" - I repeat that phrase every weekend :). Although it can be hard to find plots that really appeal to me, so my to-read lists aren't really overflowing...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...