Friday, January 6, 2012

Review: The Brat by Lynsay Sands (5 stars, medieval)





Full Description: Amazon

Rating: 5 out of 5

Thoughts After Reading:
I'm not a big fan of medieval romances, but for Lynsay Sands I make an exception. I have loved almost every book of hers that I have read, and this certainly holds true for The Brat. They have all contained her trademark humor that borders on the absurd, sensual love scenes, and touching scenes that show how much the hero and heroine care about each other. In The Brat, the heroine is a beautiful woman who has basically been adopted by the king. She has been pretending to be a "brat" so that the other women at court aren't cruel to her. The heroine does put some stock in superstitions, but never discards common sense. The hero, meanwhile, is a good and patient man who sometimes has trouble wording his thoughts. The hero and heroine get married fairly early in the story, and then the rest of the book is spent discussing the couple as they settle into their new life. As with other books of Sands I have read, one of the major conflicts is trying to discover who is trying to murder the hero. One thing I should mention is that seemed to be a particularly sedate romance, even for Sands. Many of the misunderstandings or conflicts are settled very quickly, leading to a sweet romance with suspense but very little angst. I personally enjoyed the break from angst, but it depends on your preferences. All-in-all, a good read from a good author.

4 comments:

  1. Now this one I have read. I love Lynsay Sands' Historicals. As you said, it's great to get away from the angst and just enjoy a light-hearted read occasionally. I like Karen Hawkins and Julia Quinn when I'm looking for a break from angst too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely :). I've read/considered many of the most popular historical romances before starting this blog, so I'm not surprised that a number of these titles are unfamiliar. Sometimes it takes me a while to search the lists on goodreads and amazon for a new book that looks appealing.

    I have read (and loved) a couple of Karen Hawkins' series; maybe I should look over some of her other books. Julia Quinn is my golden standard when it comes to romance, I've read nearly every one of her works :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I confess, I'm a total historical junkie, I've read all of JQ's and Karen Hawkins books. I usually buy based on reviews and if I like one book, I'll try another. Found some great new authors this way.

    Last year I found Elizabeth Hoyt, Sarah Maclean, Joanna Bourne and Jennifer Ashley (Mackenzie's series) through other people's reviews and I'm so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, very nice :). My problem is that I'm very picky when it comes to storylines I enjoy. So even within a series, sometimes I'll find myself skipping over books when I don't like the synopsis. I use reviews as a final check to make sure the books that look good are worth reading.

    Interesting. Sarah Maclean has some great works, but I don't think I've read any of Hoyt, Bourne, or Ashley yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...