Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Review: As Luck Would Have It by Alissa Johnson (3 stars, historical)





Full Description: Amazon

Rating: 3 out of 5

Thoughts After Reading:
Ever since reading Johnson's An Unexpected Gentleman (an excellent novel, if I remember correctly) I've been wanting to read some of her other works. The first of these, As Luck Would Have It, was a bit of a mixed bag.


I liked that the novel had lighthearted charm and wit, somewhat reminiscent of a Julia Quinn book. I liked that the heroine was competent on her own (knife-throwing, lock-picking, etc). I also liked that heroine did not want to be a conquest of the hero, and was somewhat opposed to being his mistress. And it was fun to see the hero fall hard for the heroine.  However, there was also quite a bit to dislike. The middle 50% of the story could have been removed if the heroine had felt like telling the hero about her plan to find a husband, or if the hero had told her he was interesting in marrying her. Several elements of the story seemed borderline silly, like the marital agreements between the hero and heroine or the spy plot. On a similar note, the heroine's worries about fate at the end of the novel seemed like an annoying attempt to draw out the conflict.


In short, I found As Luck Would Have It to be an average fare. Some of its elements raised it above the crowd but others brought it right back down. I don't think I'll be saving this book to read again later, but I'm still looking forward to trying some of Johnson's other novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...