Thursday, December 29, 2011

Review: Jack of Clubs by Barbara Metzger





Full Description: Amazon


Rating: 5 out of 5


Thoughts After Reading: I'm finding that Metzger's classic regencies tend to have many laugh out loud moments, and Jack of Clubs is no exception. I loved the humor, but I also liked that the book was a little more serious/angsty than some of Metzger's other works. It got a little tedious towards the end (Why won't they marry already?!), but all-in-all it was a really good and clean regency read.


Favorite quotes (basically spoilers):

"But he will buy you a new bonnet." "I could never accept such a personal gift from a man who— What happened to my old bonnet?" 
so the proprietors can ask about the handsome gentleman waiting for me?" She thought he was handsome? "We could wait around the corner." 
"But I never tried to seduce you." "And that is supposed to make me feel better?" He stopped wondering who to kill first. "You'd rather I tried?" 
There could be no more lusting after the governess. No more lewd thoughts of the bluestocking without her stockings. 
So he went back to visit Harriet and Miss Silver late the next morning. After all, Harriet was costing him as much as a mistress, and she was a great deal more fun. 
Jack could not discover that she liked him any better, though . . . any better than before, or any better than she liked the organ grinder's monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...